..


Tuesday, August 20, 2013

On Running

I like running. I never thought I'd say that again.

It doesn't always hold true. I don't like running whilst I'm actually doing it sometimes. I don't like running up hills, I don't like running when it's too hot, I don't like running when I inexplicably have a random arm cramp that won't go away despite me windmilling like crazy whilst I run.

Nevertheless, I'm beginning to like it again.
I've stopped putting off going everyday to the point where I never end up doing it. I'm beginning to enjoy pushing myself to run a little bit faster and a little bit longer every time. I'm running to my playlist of carefully chosen upbeat music, enjoying each moment when a new song comes on and I get that extra little burst of energy, and I'm definitely, definitely enjoying the moment when I cross my finish point and can finally slow down, heart still racing with my efforts.

This is different to before, where I was forcing myself to run not for the sake of running. I ran longer back then, but it was because it felt like it was an obligation and not a choice. I would have to set myself a time for when I would go, and then absolutely make myself go against all will and against what my body was telling me.

So here are some lil' tips and what works for me personally!



(1) Go when you (kind of) want to.
This one is more tricky, because a lot of the times I'd much rather just sit on the internet and not run at all. If you feel like you want to go, I find that you'll have a much more positive experience and you'll feel more motivated to push yourself. A great way to motivate yourself is to update your running playlist or start listening to upbeat music. Change into your cutest workout clothes and sit in them whilst you're doing it, so all you have to do is put your shoes on before you go. Hey, you're dressed, you may as well go! If motivation fails though, and you still feel like you should go whilst you also don't, rely on discipline. Tell yourself you'll go at 5, but try not to dread it. Instead, see if you can convince yourself to go a little earlier, and use 5 as a last chance option. This usually works for me - I usually end up going half an hour before my last chance and it feels great because it feels more like a choice. Super psychological, but it works for me!

(2) Have a nice, or few different routes.

Obviously doesn't apply so much when you're running in treadmills in the gym (change up the treadmill? I actually have a favourite one so I'm even running on the same treadmill every time, hah,) but outside, it's always great to have a few routes to run. Just the change in scenery, even if you don't think you'll be paying attention over the sound of you desperately trying to catch your breath (kidding!) you might find you appreciate it a bit, and, one on hand, a new route'll stop you stressing yourself out with markers that you come to familiarise yourself with on a route you run everyday - ("I'm only at the bendy tree?! I've still got so long to run! ~motivation deflates~) and you may find yourself running further than you thought just because you don't really know the route!

On the other hand though, running the same, nice route everyday can be motivating in the exact same sense - you know where you are at all times and how much further to go, which can be quite reassuring. Find out what works for you! Find a nicer, easier run for days when you really don't feel like going, and a harder, longer run for days when you really do.

In short: find a whole bunch of routes and run them all!

(3) Change up your playlist loads!

Skip this if you're one of those people who manages to just listen to nature/the sound of their own feet hitting the pavement etc. when they run. I always need music to run to because I just get so bored. My attention span is just too awful to not have something else to concentrate on besides the running itself. I fill up my playlist with upbeat songs of all genres. I usually also keep my playlist on shuffle - just as one song dies down, another unexpected one - that I suddenly really fancy listening to - will come on and I'll get a little burst of happy energy! Having over 300 songs on there also means every day's workout soundtrack is different so it doesn't feel as monotonous. Finding awesome new songs and putting them on first is also a good way to motivate yourself to go running!

(4) Watch your breathing.

It can make a huge difference when you run! I usually end up breathing through my mouth (although at this point I don't pay loads of attention to breathing anymore - kind of just function on autopilot.) because it's more efficient at taking in loads of oxygen - which you need if you're really working hard and busting your ass! If you feel yourself getting a stitch, take a moment to change your breathing - if you exhale as one foot hits the ground, switch so you exhale as the other foot does (this is a common tip that ~science~ has proved to work, and it's worked for me a few times!) If you find yourself struggling, also take long, deep breaths for a bit to allow more oxygen to flow, hopefully giving you more energy.

(5) Don't feel bad about stopping if you have to!

Especially for those new to running - it's perfectly okay to stop and walk to catch your breath. If you're struggling, it may be a good idea to walk for a few minutes and get some energy back - it's better than pushing yourself too hard and burning out completely. After walking for a bit, you may find it harder when you start running again, so go for a light jog, and then once your body has figured out what's going on, you can run a little bit faster again.

(6) Think

I ran when I was annoyed the other day and managed a new personal best on my usual route, which was pretty impressive. Run with your emotions! It's a great way to release stress if you're angry, and if you're already in a good mood, use it to motivate yourself positively - and imagine how good you'll feel with all the endorphins on top of that! Take the time alone to mull over things you want to, make plans (hypothetical or real!) and just imagine scenarios to keep yourself entertained! I love to think about places I want to travel to and what I'd do there.

Those are all super common-sense tips but nevertheless thought I'd put them here anyway! Always good to remind myself that I don't actually hate running.







No comments:

Post a Comment